The Perfect Holiday Red Lip
‘Tis the season of holiday parties, festive gatherings, and glitz and glam! Nothing screams “holiday party” quite like the perfect holiday red lip. With the cold and windy weather of December, a bold, red lip can be intimidating, especially when our lips are dry, cracked, and chapped. Avoid a glam disaster with our tips to rock the perfect holiday red lip!
- Exfoliate your lips daily. You’ll want a smooth, hydrated base on which to apply your lipstick. Prep your lips for a bold color with lip exfoliator such as a sugar scrub. If you don’t have sugar scrub, you can make your own or use a toothbrush to exfoliate! After brushing your teeth, clean your brush and gently scrub your lips.
- Always keep a good lip balm handy. Natural ingredients like Shea butter will heal cracked lips. Shea butter is non-comedogenic and will not clog pores.
- Avoid matte formulas in the winter. Matte lipstick tends to be particularly drying and can make your lips look even more chapped. Try a cream or velvet based lipstick during the cold months. If you are a die-hard matte fan, Urban Decay, Smashbox, and Nars all make matte lipsticks with a creamy finish, which is a good compromise in the bitter winter.
- Try out a bright, shimmery lip gloss! If all else fails and your lips can’t achieve the hydration necessary for red lipstick, swap it out for a highly pigmented lip gloss. PB’s pick = H20 Lip Gloss in Cherry by Tarte
- Complete the look! Make it pop and look fierce by wearing all black with a bold, red lip.
There are thousands of shades of red, and choosing the perfect shade can be a bit overwhelming. Certain shades will look better on different skin tones. Skin Care Educator Kelly Anne King suggests looking for specific undertones when choosing the perfect red.
- For fair skin, Kelly suggests looking for blue- or pink-based reds. Blue-toned reds will also make your teeth appear whiter! PB’s pick = Russian Red by MAC
- Light complexions, or complexions with a yellow tone, and medium complexions look best in orange-based reds. PB’s pick = Bang by Urban Decay
- Olive skin with yellow or green undertones looks best in deep brick reds or a red-brown lipstick. PB’s pick = Bad Blood by Urban Decay
- For caramel to dark skin tones, seek out a true red. PB’s pick = Legendary by Smashbox
With preparation, hydration, and the perfect shade, there is no doubt you will shine at every festive gathering! Looking to make a statement at your next holiday party? Pamper yourself by scheduling a glam session at PB Beauty School. Makeup applications start at just $20!