8 Summer Beauty Hacks
Rock the rest of your summer with a few of our best summer beauty tips! The heat and humidity can take a serious toll on the texture of your hair, and sometimes the UV rays can be a little harsher than we’d like and leave our skin with more than just a glow. When frizz and sunburn wreck havoc on your summer beauty routine, try out some of our beauty tips to turn your summer back around!
1. Beat the heat with a Keratin Complex Treatment
A Keratin Complex Smoothing Treatment is the perfect way to shield your blowout from the hot and humid dog days of summer. Keratin is a smoothing, strengthening and conditioning treatment applied and absorbed to your hair. Not only does this treatment eliminate frizz and curls, but it will cut your style time in half! Checkout the benefits of Keratin to learn what to expect during your treatment and how long the results last.
2. Embrace your natural curls
If you’re not willing to spend the big bucks on a Keratin Treatment or simply do not want to part with your naturally curly locks, we have some tips to help you rock your curls this summer. Using a diffuser when blow drying your hair will help to eliminate frizz. To amp up the shine and silkiness of your curls, try a process called co-washing. Stephen Scull, licensed Cosmetologist and Educator at PB, describes co-washing, and some of his favorite products for curls in his Frizz-Free, Natural Curls Routine.
Did you give his routine a try and love the results? Leave a comment or post a picture of the results using the #StephensSummerCurls to spread the hair love!
3. Rock a braided look
When it’s hot, you’re running out of time, and all else fails, simply pull your hair back into a cute half-up hairdo! Braids are the quickest way to get your hair off your face while managing to look like effort was put in. Pull the front two sections of your hair away from your face and braid each side. Pull both braids together and fasten with a hair tie or bobby pins, and finish with a humidity blocking hair spray. Tip: Make dry-shampoo your best friend this summer! It will help your hair look fresh during the hot summer months.
4. DIY Summer face mask
Win the fight against summer breakouts caused by sweat and oil buildup with a skin-brightening DIY face mask. A strawberry-lemon mask is perfect for oily, acne prone skin. Strawberries contain salicylic acid which is great for breaking up the debris that clogs your pours. Lemon juice will help tighten your pours and give your skin a refreshing glow!
- Mashed strawberries
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
Mash the ingredients together to create a paste and apply evenly to your skin. Wash off the mask after 10-15 minutes with cold water and apply an oil-free moisturizer.
5. Switch up your makeup
It is important to remember to switch your winter foundation to something darker in the summer to match your tan. Try swapping your foundation to a BB cream! BB creams offer lightweight coverage so your makeup doesn’t feel too heavy in the hot, summer months.
6. Consider lash extensions
Lash extensions are perfect for summer beach trips because they require little to no effort, yet you wake up with a full, voluptuous set of lashes every morning! Consider getting lash extensions for your next beach vacation and ditch the clumpy, water-proof mascara. Denise Randon, PB Educator and Borboleta Certified Lash Technician says, “with the heat and humidity in the summer, I try to wear as little makeup as possible. I think lashes are a great way to look ‘put together’ without having to actually wear makeup. Not to mention, they are perfect for the beach. No more streaky mascara! Long, curled lashes help make me look more awake, too!”
For more information on lash extensions, or to book an appointment at PB Beauty School, read our Eyelash Extension 101.
7. Beach Bag essentials
Upgrade your beach trip and look cute while doing it with a few must haves to protect yourself from the summer sun.
- SPF lip balm: There is nothing worse than burnt, chapped lips! Protect your pucker with chapstick that contains at least an SPF of 15. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment contains SPF 15 and comes in 12 cute summer shades!
- SPF hairspray: The one place people always forget to apply sunscreen is the area in direct view of the sun- on the top of your scalp. Make sure you apply sunscreen where your hair is parted. Coola makes an organic SPF 30 hair spray to make it easy to protect your scalp from the harsh UV rays and can be found on Amazon or at Sephora.
- Oil Absorbing sheets instantly absorb excess oil and keeps your skin looking fresh. Blot away the excess shine on the beach with Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing sheets.
- No glow? No problem! Get yourself a sun tan lotion with added bronzer for an immediate tan glow. Australian Gold makes an SPF 15 spray with instant bronzer so you can enjoy the sun with confidence.
- Quench your thirst in style. Drinking from a plastic water bottle that has been exposed to heat and sunlight can be damaging to your body. Yeti water bottles keep your water cold all day, and are made of stainless steel rather than plastic. Sip safely this summer with Yeti.
8. Rejuvenate your skin
Even the most sun-safe beach goers slip up and fall victim to the harsh UV rays. Rejuvenate and calm your burning skin with a Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cooling Facial. The cooling sensation helps decrease inflammation in the skin caused by excessive sun exposure. During the month of August, PB Beauty School will be offering the Dermalogica Ultra Calming Facial for a special price of $35.
Oatmeal masks are also a great remedy for sensitive, burnt skin. Oatmeal acts as a calming agent for rosacea, wind burn, chapped or burnt skin. Schedule your Dermalogica Ultra Calming Facial or an Oatmeal Facial at PB Beauty School today! For a full list of Spa Services, take a look at our Spa Menu.
Try out these tips and let us know your thoughts in the comments below! If you need a little extra pampering and would like to book an appointment for our Salon or Spa, call (856) 456-4927.