The Barbering Course consists of 900 hours of instructional units and clinical practice. This course is offered part-time evenings and can be completed in 12 months. The subject matter is listed below:
- State Laws, rules, and regulations for Cosmetology and Hairstyling Administrative Shop Operations
- History of Hair and Barbering
- Professional Image, Hygiene, and Related Practices
- Decontamination and Infection Control
- Shampooing and Scalp Care
- Honing and Stropping
- Men’s Hair Cutting Styling
- Beard and Moustache Trimming
- Women’s Hair Cutting and Styling
- Facials and Facial Massage
- Anatomy of Head, Neck and Face
- Common Disorders of the skin, scalp, and hair
- Men’s hairpiece services
- Chemistry and Chemistry-related Services, straightening and permanent waving
- Hair Color and Lightening
tudents in the Barbering Program spend the first 450 hours learning theory and practical assignments on mannequins or models. As the students progress in knowledge and skill, they transition for the last 450 hours to the Student Salon, where they work on members of the public under the supervision of licensed barber school in New Jersey educators. A comprehensive kit is issued to all students that includes 9 mannequins, a textbook package, Oster Clippers, Diamond edge razors and Ninja Swordsman Shears.
he Barbering Course is improved with the addition of guest artists, projects and field trips. Students will visit Master Barber Shops locally and will also travel to the International Beauty Show in New York City. Guest artists such as David Fedora from “The Barber Shop by David” and William Brown from “The Duke Barber Company” will give guest lectures and special demonstrations on live models.
urriculum projects include creating a timeline of historical events of barbering as a career and its progression into the 21st century. Students also complete a project on Infection Control.
dvanced classes are offered in clipper cutting techniques and fading. A hands-on workshop is offered to fine tune fading, blending, and tapering skills. All advanced classes have a separate tuition price and can be taken as a student or a graduate. Job Placement Services are available to all students upon graduation and all students create an online portfolio on styleseat.com as a showcase of their practical expertise.