Next start date: August 5th, 2019
The Barbering Course consists of 900 hours of instructional units and clinical practice. This course is offered full-time and can be completed in 7.5 months. The subject matter is listed below:
- State laws, rules, and regulations for cosmetology and hairstyling administrative shop operations
- History of hair and barbering
- Professional image, hygiene, and related practices
- Decontamination and infection control
- Shampooing and scalp care
- Honing and stropping
- Men’s hair cutting styling
- Beard and mustache trimming
- Women’s hair cutting and styling
- Facials and facial massage
- Anatomy of head, neck and face
- Common disorders of the skin, scalp, and hair
- Men’s hair replacement services
- Chemistry and chemistry-related services, straightening and permanent waving
- Hair color and lightening
Guest artists, projects and trips are incorporated into the program. Students will visit barbershops locally and will also travel to the International Beauty Show in New York City. Guest artists will give lectures and special demonstrations on live models.
Curriculum projects include creating a timeline of historical events of barbering as a career and its progression into the 21st century. Students also complete a project on infection control.
Advanced classes are offered in clipper cutting techniques and fading. A hands-on workshop is offered to fine-tune fading, blending, and tapering skills. All advanced classes have a separate tuition price and can be taken as a student or a graduate. Job placement services are available to all students upon graduation and all students create an online portfolio on styleseat.com as a showcase of their practical expertise.